Monday, October 24, 2005

Culture shock again??!!

Okay, so I have been in Taiwan for over a year and a half. You would think I would be all over the culture shock thing and fairly used to life here. I thought I was too, until today. Until I had to go to Taipei for a training. Until the train stopped in Shijhir and made everyone get off and I had no clue as to what was going on because of course, the announcements were all in Chinese. Until I was being pushed like a piece of cattle up the stairs and through the turnstile. Until there were so many people around me I almost started hyperventilating (I am very proud of myself, I remained calm) Until from that point it took me 30 minutes to find a free cab. Until it took me 1 1/2 hours to take the train to Shijhir to a point which is only a 10 minute cab ride from my house. Until it took me a grand total of 3 hours to make it to Taipei when it really only should have taken just over an hour to get from my house to my training centre. So that was my morning, getting back was just as trying, it took almost 2 hours but at least I was with my CT and so we took the bus and hung out. All this traveling has made me incredibly tired and all I want to do right now is go to sleep, but no, my life isn't that simple as I have buxiban tonight and a meeting after that. :( So I guess in some forms people are right, culture shock never really goes away. You are always faced with the possibility of encountering it again. Something to look forward to, let me tell you!

No comments: