Thursday, February 15, 2007

it's the anniversary

So yes, as my sister said, it was my 3rd anniversary of arriving in Taiwan on February 14th. (for most of you reading this, it is still Feb 14th, however, it is almost 1am here on the 15th, so technically the anniversary was yesterday). This is actually the first time I have "celebrated" or even mentioned the fact that it was my anniversary. Last year I was in Canada, the year before...my parents were here and I was as sick as a dog, since it was February after all and I have been cursed to be sick every February I've been in Taiwan.

I have been thinking about my time in Taiwan all day, starting with the day I arrived. I remember phoning my sister in Vancouver crying, wondering what the hell I was doing (yes, I am an emotional person) Arriving in Taiwan to a driver with my name on a sign and the school I was employed by. That was pretty cool, and it will probably never happen again. It is hard to believe that 3 years have gone by. I can see it all so clearly, sometimes it seems I can almost account for every minute, but I don't know how it's gone so fast. Every moment of Taiwan has affected my life, whether it has been a good experience or a bad one. They all turn out to be good in the long run, even if they don't seem to at first. I know, this entry is all over the place. My mind is running over all my experiences since being here and it is hard to write about them all in the same place. The kids I've taught, the friends I have met, the things I have done, it has been life changing. Some days I didn't think I could make it past six months and here it's been three years. It seriously baffles my mind sometimes.

1 comment:

katloveshats said...

Fisher was one when you left and now he is four. We are getting the video ready to send (hope mom brought it back from Calgary). Bailey was supposed to give you a tour. You won't believe how big Fisher is getting. He is so funny.

We had a valentine's cake tonight after dinner - an ice cream one. Mackenzie said that "If we didn't have Valentine's day, Christmas day and that bunny one - life would be boring" She wouldn't let that happen.

Happy Anniversary. When you left I was teaching Studies in Diversity and now three years later I am teaching it again. Crazy how things go. Love you and miss you.
Kathy